CHICAGO – At least 23 people, including a woman asleep in her South Shore bed and six people in a mass shooting, were shot dead in Chicago between Saturday night and Sunday morning. Two people were killed.
Six people were injured in a mass shooting in the Lawndale neighborhood shortly after 2:50 a.m.
A 27-year-old woman was in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital with a gunshot wound to the pelvis. Three men in their 20s and 30s were also taken to Mount Sinai, where their conditions stabilized. A 30-year-old woman was at Mount Sinai with a scratch in good condition, and another woman, 33, was at Mount Sinai in fair condition after being shot in the shoulder.
A 39-year-old woman was shot while sleeping in her bed in the 7800 block of South Phillips Avenue in the South Shore neighborhood at around 3:45 a.m. The woman was shot in the chest, abdomen and thigh, police said, and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in serious condition. Police said an unidentified gunman fled through the back of the apartment; it was not known how he entered the residence.
A Chicago Fire Paramedic was brushed against while attending to a patient inside the emergency room at Stroger Hospital around 10:30 p.m. Saturday. The bullet hit the beak of the paramedic’s baseball cap, police said. Witnesses said the bullets were fired by someone passing by in an older model green Buick.
Two men, 28 and 31, were shot dead while standing outside in the 2300 block of West Warren Boulevard in the Near West Side neighborhood shortly after 10:25 p.m., police said. The older man was shot in the chest and arm and taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was delivered at 10:50 p.m. He had not been identified on Sunday morning. The young man was in Stroger in good condition with a gunshot wound to his right heel.
Melica De La Garza, 18, was killed after being shot while sitting in a car parked in the 5400 block of South Avers Avenue in the West Elsdon neighborhood around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday. She was identified on Sunday morning and lived in the same block where the shooting took place, according to information from the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
She was shot in the chest several times and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. Police said they could not provide further details about the shooting due to the severity of her injuries and that she was shot dead by a gunman who fled the scene on foot. She was pronounced dead in hospital at 11:08 p.m.
A total of 44 people have been shot, including five people killed, since Friday evening. In the other shoots from Saturday evening to Sunday morning:
– A 16-year-old boy sustained a scrape to his hand while taking out the trash in the 5700 block of South Bishop Street in the Englewood neighborhood at around 8:20 a.m. Police said three men were in the area. catwalk shooting itself when one of the bullets grazed the boy’s hand. He was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was in good condition.
– At approximately 8:10 a.m., a man was shot dead while sitting inside a vehicle in block 100 of East Wacker Drive in the Loop. The man was shot several times and was in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Police said they were speaking to someone of interest in the shooting.
–A 33-year-old man was shot and killed while standing outside in the 2500 block of North Milwaukee Avenue in the Logan Square neighborhood at around 2:55 a.m. Police said the man was shot in the leg by a man in a black SUV. He was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where his condition stabilized.
– Two people, a 17-year-old boy and a 29-year-old man, were shot as they exited a house on the 2500 block South Hamlin Avenue in Little Village at around 1:40 a.m. The man was taken to the house. Mount Sinai hospital in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the upper leg. The boy was also taken to Mount Sinai, in good condition, after being shot in the lower leg. Police say they were shot by someone in a golden Chevrolet Suburban.
– A 26-year-old man was shot in the leg while standing outside in the 3400 block of West Grenshaw Street in the Homan Square neighborhood shortly after 1:15 a.m. Police said he went to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was in good condition.
– A 36-year-old man was shot dead in the South Loop shortly after 1:05 a.m. The man was outside in the 700 block of South Wabash Avenue when he heard gunshots and felt pain, police said. He was shot in the chest several times and went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where his condition stabilized. Police said the man believed the shots were coming from a gray SUV.
–A 51-year-old man was gunned down while outside in the 400 block of West 115th Street in West Pullman at around 9:35 p.m. Saturday. The man was shot in the leg and buttocks and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in good condition, police said.
– At approximately 9:20 p.m. in the Irving Park neighborhood, a 38-year-old man who was traveling as a passenger in a vehicle was shot dead by someone in a dark-colored sedan. He was shot in the chest and abdomen and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was in serious condition, police said. Filming took place in the 3800 block of North Troy Street.
– A 32-year-old man suffered a scraped hand when he was shot in the first block of South Pulaski Road in the West Garfield Park neighborhood shortly after 9:10 p.m. He was transported undamaged at Loretto Hospital where he was treated and released, police said.
– In the Little Village neighborhood, a 31-year-old man was shot as he exited his vehicle in the 3200 block of West 31st Street at around 9:10 pm He was shot several times in the chest and taken to the hospital. Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition. Police said a gunman fled in a white four-door sedan.
– A 24-year-old man traveling in a vehicle on Roosevelt Road was shot and killed shortly before 8 p.m. address for the shooting due to the severity of his injuries.
Â© 2021 Chicago Tribune. Visit to chicagotribune.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.