The Des Moines Memorial Drive Preservation Association is the lead agency for a Signal Box project along Des Moines Memorial Drive featuring World War I-themed artwork, and is looking for artists.
- The goal of this project is to have three different renderings of World War I to make a recurring art display at the intersections along the boardwalk.
- The Drive was dedicated in 1921 as a living route of remembrance to the fall of World War I in Washington State.
- The DMMDPA strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT people, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
- The deadline for submission is June 8, 2022 at 4 p.m.
- Artists are invited to submit samples of their work. The chosen artist or artists will be paid to develop designs based on WWI themes.
- Up to 14 boxes will be packed in the cities of Des Moines, SeaTac and Burien.
- SUBMIT TO: Rose Clark, President of the DMMDPA: [email protected].
- Theme: Final artwork must be based on WWI themes.
- Design: The final works of art must be designs of abstract representations that contribute to the visual quality of the streetscape. For example, a limited color palette and simple graphic images. Avoid visual clutter. The final artwork should not create a distraction for the driver or be confused with traffic signs.
- Medium: The chosen works of art will be transformed into vinyl films which will be installed by professionals. Selected artists will be required to work with the DMMDPA and the vinyl packaging company representative to finalize the artwork for the final product.
- Signal Box Specifications: The illustration will cover all sides of the signal box. The job can be a single image that will cover all sides of the box or four linked images.
- Commission: $2,000 for the artist to develop a group of 5-6 drawings with three final works chosen by a jury.
- The finished product will become the property of DMMDPA.
- June 8: Submission due.
- Mid-June to end of June: Submission reviewed by an independent art committee.
- Beginning of July: Artist(s) contacted.
- July selected: Artist(s) contacted and start of meeting with DMMAPA
- August 15: Artist(s) submit 5-6 final designs, 3 of which will be chosen by the arts committee.
- Please email Rose Clark at [email protected].
- Indicate your contact details: email, first and last name, telephone and postal address.
- 5 samples of your most recent creations via PDF or JPG
- Why are you applying for this project?
“Thank you for your interest in our project, we look forward to working with you!”