Submitted by Maria Reduto-Williams
The Sullivan County Public Library has five locations to serve the community. Visit www.scpltn.org for more details.
• The Sullivan County Public Library System is now accepting nominations for its Board of Trustees. Board members establish policies that govern the operation of the Sullivan County public library system and participate in budgeting and planning processes. Contact Library Director Megan Hopkins at 423-279-2716 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
• Do you do hoopla? With hoopla digital, you can instantly borrow audiobooks, e-books, comics, music, movies, and TV shows for free with the power of your library card. Visit or call your local branch for details.
FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS
Summer Reading Storytime
All branches will be offering Summer Reading Storytime events, based on the theme “Oceans of Possibilities”:
• Sullivan Main on June 14 at 10 am for pre-kindergarten and 10:45 am for elementary age — Penguins and puffins.
• Sullivan Gardens June 14 at 3:00 pm — Melody, an intern from Bays Mountain, will be coming for a presentation on fish.
• Bloomingdale’s June 15 at 10 am — Bays Mountain staff will stop by to talk about otters and their habitat.
• Sullivan Gardens on June 15 at 10 a.m. — Dolphins, whales and sharks.
• Colonial Heights June 16 at 10 am — Friends from Bays Mountain Park will stop by to talk about the differences between sea and river otters.
• Thomas Memorial on June 16 at 10.30 am — Octopi.
• The main Sullivan branch will host the Lego Club on June 13 at 4 p.m. Come listen to a story, then unleash your children’s creativity with free play time.
• The 8-12 year old art program will meet at the Thomas Memorial branch on June 14 at 11:00 am. Dadaism is the subject of this week.
• The Colonial Heights branch will host “Read Aloud with Ashlie” on June 15 at 11:00 am. Sign up to let your child practice reading with Ashlie, one of the branch’s home teaching mothers.
• An elementary age book club will meet at the Sullivan Main branch on June 16 at 3:00 pm for “The Magic Tree House” series.
• The Tweens Book Club will meet at the Sullivan Main branch on June 16 at 4:00 pm to read and discuss “Song for a Whale” by Lynne Kelly.
• It’s a treat for our Sullivan Main Branch summer reading program, as Commander Anderson stops by June 17 at 10:30 a.m. to share stories of his adventures in the Antarctic Ocean and all the animals he encountered there.
• Sullivan’s main branch will host Geri-Fit, a strength training exercise class, for mature adults on Mondays and Thursdays at 10:00 am.
• Are you ready for a new hobby? Come to the Sullivan Gardens branch for an introductory crochet lesson on June 16 at 2 p.m. All the supplies you need to craft and take home your first project will be provided.
• The Sullivan Gardens branch will be offering a lesson in the art of cursive writing with library assistant Janet on June 17 at 3:00 p.m.
• Local horticulturist Bill Durham will visit the Colonial Heights branch on June 18 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm to share his knowledge of houseplants. You can even bring in a plant you need specific help with for him to diagnose.
To register or find out about other upcoming events, call or drop by one of the branches:
• Sullivan Main, 1655 Blountville Blvd., Blountville or call 423-279-2714.
• Bloomingdale’s, 3230 Van Horn Street, Kingsport or call 423-288-1310.
• Colonial Heights, 149 Pactolus Road, Kingsport or call 423-239-1100.
• Sullivan Gardens, 104 Bluegrass Drive, Kingsport or call 423-349-5990.
• Thomas Memorial, 481 Cedar St., Bluff City or call 423-538-1980.